Register for our hands-on documentary workshop and discover how you can spin an interesting idea into a compelling, visual narrative.
On day one, learn about the many genres of documentary film and principals of good storytelling. Delve into camera theory, story principals, stages of documentary production, and complete the day engaged in valuable camera exercises that will start you on the path towards becoming a documentary filmmaker!
Day two focuses on interviewing and how to draw an interesting story from a subject. Learn how to get a subject to relax and open up, the difference between dynamic and boring interviews, and how to build a narrative around a subject’s stories. Audio quality is just as important as the content of an interview. A lesson and exercise on how to properly use microphones and record clean audio with a camera will build your technical skills.
- Intro to the documentary genre
- Three-act structure and building a story
- Visual and screen grammar
- Creative shot sequences for documentaries
- White balance, exposure, and other fundamental camera skills
- Hands-on camera exercise
- Identifying a dynamic subject
- Interviewing skills
- Microphone types, uses, and techniques
- Recording audio and monitoring levels
- Hands-on interviewing exercise
Cancellation: Please note we have a strict, full fee 48-hour cancellation policy. If we receive your cancellation notice less than 48-hours before your workshop begins, you will not be issued a refund. A $30 administration fee will apply to all other cancellations.
Rebooking may be done at no cost provided 72 hours notice. Less than 72 hours notice will result in a $25 rebooking fee.
Documentary workshop is for informational purposes only.